Title (as given to the record by the creator): Fat Underground Questionnaire
Date(s) of creation: 1974
Creator / author / publisher: Fat Underground
Location: Venice, CA USA
Physical description: one typed page
Reference #: FU-Questionnaire-1974
Source: Largesse Fat Liberation Archive
Links: [ PDF ]
PLEASE ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS TRUE OR FALSE (T or F)
- Fat is inherently unhealthy.
- The fact that thousands of people lose weight every year shows that those who remain fat consciously or unconsciously choose to do so.
- If the average thin person ate like the average fat person, she or he would become fat.
- “Sensible” diets cannot harm one’s health.
- Binging on food is evidence of an oral personality.
- Fat women often use their fat to ward off sexual involvement.
- Over a period of five years, 99% of those who lose weight regain it, usually with interest.
- If fat people feel oppressed, they always have the option of losing weight.
- Doctors are experts on obesity, its causes and cures.
- Being fat is evidence of a weak will or character.
- Fat people welcome even unsolicited dietary advice as an aid in solving their “problem”.
- There is something abnormal about individuals who find fat people sexually attractive.
- Medical studies have been carefully controlled to differentiate between the effects of being overweight and the effects of dieting.
- Many people are fat because of emotional problems stemming from too little love either during childhood or at the present time.
- It has been proved that weighing more than one’s actuarial ideal causes early death.
PONDER YOUR ATTITUDES TOWARD FAT AND PAT PEOPLE
- How do you feel when you see a fat woman in a halter, swim suit or short skirt or going braless?
- Would you feel comfortable being seen publicly with a 300 pound friend?
- When you see fat people grocery shopping or eating out, are you judgmental of what they eat?
- Do fat people have to prove their intelligence or humanity to you?
- How afraid of becoming fat are you? What frightens you most about such a prospect?
- Have you ever complained of your five extra pounds or a small bulge in the presence of a person fatter than you? What motivated you? Did you pause to consider her or his feelings in that situation?
- What do you perceive as the political importance of the concept of figure control?